< /bæˈtoʊz; French baˈtoʊ/.
- Also batteau. Nautical.
- Chiefly Canadian and Southern U.S..a small, flat-bottomed rowboat used on rivers.
- a half-decked, sloop-rigged boat used for fishing on Chesapeake Bay; skipjack.
- (in some regions) a scow.
- a pontoon of a floating bridge.
noun plural -teaux (-təʊz, French -to)
- a light flat-bottomed boat used on rivers in Canada and the northern US
French-Canadian river boat, 1711, from French bateau, from Old French batel, from Germanic (see boat (n.)).