- an act or instance of denouncing; public censure or condemnation.
- an accusation of crime before a public prosecutor or tribunal.
- notice of the termination or the renouncement of an international agreement or part thereof.
- Archaic. warning of impending evil; threat.
- open condemnation; censure; denouncing
- law obsolete a charge or accusation of crime made by an individual before a public prosecutor or tribunal
- a formal announcement of the termination of a treaty
- archaic an announcement in the form of an impending threat or warning
early 15c., “act of declaring or stating something,” from Latin denuntiationem (nominative denuntiatio), noun of action from past participle stem of denuntiare (see denounce). Meaning “a charge” is mid-15c.