- a person who devises or executes designs, especially one who creates forms, structures, and patterns, as for works of art or machines.
- a schemer, intriguer, or plotter.
- designed or created by or carrying a label or identification of a designer, especially a fashion designer, but often mass-produced: designer jeans.
- a person who devises and executes designs, as for works of art, clothes, machines, etc
- (modifier) designed by and bearing the label or signature of a well-known fashion designerdesigner jeans
- (modifier) (of things, ideas, etc) having an appearance of fashionable trendinessdesigner pop songs; designer stubble
- (modifier) (of cells, chemicals, etc) designed (or produced) to perform a specific function or combat a specific problemdesigner insecticide
- (modifier) (of an animal) cross-bred for a specific purpose, such as looks, temperament, or likelihood of causing an allergydesigner dogs
- a person who devises plots or schemes; intriguer
1640s, “one who schemes;” agent noun from design (v.). Meaning “one who makes an artistic design or a construction plan” is from 1660s. In fashion, as an adjective, “bearing the label of a famous clothing designer” (thus presumed to be expensive or prestigious), from 1966. Designer drug attested from 1983.