- the period indicating completion of half the time allowed for an activity, as for a football or basketball game or an examination.
- Sports. the intermission or rest period between the two halves of a football, basketball, or other game, during which spectators are often entertained by baton twirling, marching bands, or the like.
- pertaining to or taking place during a halftime: The football fans were treated to a halftime exhibition by the marching band.
- a rest period between the two halves of a game
- (as modifier)the half-time score