- a son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 29:34.
- one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
- original name of Matthew(def 1).
- a Levite.
- a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “a joining.”
- Car·lo [kahr-law] /ˈkɑr lɔ/, 1902–75, Italian painter and writer.
(used with a plural verb) Trademark.
- a brand of clothing, especially blue jeans.
- Old Testament
- the third son of Jacob and Leah and the ancestor of the tribe of Levi (Genesis 29:34)
- the priestly tribe descended from this patriarch (Numbers 18:21–24)
- New Testament another name for Matthew the apostle
- Carlo. 1902–75, Italian physician, painter, and writer. Best known for his novel Christ Stopped at Eboli (1947), his other works include The Watch (1952) and Words are Stones (1958)
- Primo (ˈpriːməʊ). 1919–87, Italian novelist. His book If This is a Man (1947) relates his experiences in Auschwitz. Other books include The Periodic Table (1956) and The Drowned and the Saved (1988), published after his suicide
- Judaism a descendant of the tribe of Levi who has certain privileges in the synagogue service
- trademark jeans, usually blue and made of denim
masc. proper name, biblical son of Jacob by Leah, from Hebrew lewi, literally “joining, pledging, attached,” from stem of lawah “he joined.”