- Physiology, Pathology. pertaining to bile or to an excess secretion of bile.
- Pathology. suffering from, caused by, or attended by trouble with the bile or liver.
- peevish; irritable; cranky.
- extremely unpleasant or distasteful: a long scarf of bright, bilious green.
- of or relating to bile
- affected with or denoting any disorder related to excess secretion of bile
- informal (esp of colours) extremely distasteful; nauseatinga bilious green
- informal bad-tempered; irritable
adj.1540s, “pertaining to bile, biliary,” from French bilieux, from Latin biliosus “pertaining to bile,” from bilis (see bile). Meaning “wrathful, peevish, ill-tempered” (as people afflicted with an excess of bile were believed to be) is attested from 1560s. This is the main modern sense in English and French; the more literal meaning being taken up by biliary. Related: Biliousness. adj.
- Of, relating to, or containing bile; biliary.
- Characterized by an excess secretion of bile.
- Relating to, characterized by, or experiencing gastric distress caused by a disorder of the liver or gallbladder.