- a word, letter, symbol, or figure, etc., expressing a number; number: the Roman numerals.
- of, relating to, or consisting of numbers or numerals.
- expressing or noting a number or numbers.
- a symbol or group of symbols used to express a number: for example, 6 (Arabic), VI (Roman), 110 (binary)
- of, consisting of, or denoting a number
1520s, “word expressing a number,” from Middle French numéral (late 15c.), from Late Latin numeralis “of or belonging to a number,” from Latin numerus “a number” (see number (n.)). Meaning “figure standing for a number” is from 1680s. As an adjective, “expressing number,” from 1520s.
- A symbol or mark used to represent a number.
A word or symbol used to represent a number.