- a person considered to be socially awkward, boring, unstylish, etc.
- an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
- a variant spelling of nerd
- a boring or unpopular person, esp one obsessed with something specifieda computer nerd
- a stupid and feeble person
1951, U.S. student slang, probably an alteration of 1940s slang nert “stupid or crazy person,” itself an alteration of nut. The word turns up in a Dr. Seuss book from 1950 (“If I Ran the Zoo”), which may have contributed to its rise.