- a branch or lateral shoot from a main stem, as of a plant.
- anything conceived of as springing or proceeding from a main stock: an offshoot of a discussion.
- a branch, descendant, or scion of a specific population or family.
- a shoot or branch growing from the main stem of a plant
- something that develops or derives from a principal source or origin
n.1670s, in figurative sense, of family trees; 1801 in general sense of “a derivative;” 1814 in literal sense, in reference to plants. From off + shoot (n.).