verb (used with object)
- to overspread with or as if with clouds: a summer storm that briefly overclouds the sun; to overcloud one’s pleasure with solemn thoughts.
- to darken; obscure; make gloomy: a childhood that was overclouded by the loss of his parents.
verb (used without object)
- to become clouded over or overcast: Toward evening the sky began to overcloud.
- to make or become covered with clouds
- to make or become dark or dim
v.1590s, from over- + cloud (v.). Related: Overclouded; overclouding.