- a basket, especially a large one, for carrying goods, provisions, etc.
- a basket for carrying on a person’s back, or one of a pair to be slung across the back of a beast of burden.
- a similar type of bag, usually one of a pair, fastened over a bicycle’s rear wheel.
- (on a dress, skirt, etc.) a puffed arrangement of drapery at the hips.
- an oval framework formerly used for distending the skirt of a woman’s dress at the hips.
- a large basket, esp one of a pair slung over a beast of burden
- one of a pair of bags slung either side of the back wheel of a motorcycle, bicycle, etc
- (esp in the 18th century)
- a hooped framework to distend a woman’s skirt
- one of two puffed-out loops of material worn drawn back onto the hips to reveal the underskirt
n.late 13c., “large basket for provisions,” from Old French panier “basket,” from Latin panarium “bread basket,” from panis “bread” (see food).