- Anatomy. of, relating to, or situated near the side and top of the skull or the parietal bone.
- Biology. of or relating to parietes or structural walls.
- Botany. pertaining to or arising from a wall: usually applied to ovules when they proceed from or are borne on the walls or sides of the ovary.
- pertaining to or having authority over residence, and especially visitation regulations between the sexes, within the walls or buildings of a college or university: a listing of the parietal regulations for the law students’ dormitory.
- Anatomy. any of several parts in the parietal region of the skull, especially the parietal bone.
- parietals. Also called parietal rules. campus regulations governing visits between members of opposite sexes to each other’s dormitories or rooms.
- anatomy biology of, relating to, or forming the walls or part of the walls of a bodily cavity or similar structurethe parietal bones of the skull
- of or relating to the side of the skull
- (of plant ovaries) having ovules attached to the walls
- US living or having authority within a college
- a parietal bone
adj.early 15c., “pertaining to the walls of a cavity in the body,” from Late Latin parietalis “of walls,” from Latin paries (genitive parietis) “wall” (of a building), of unknown origin. In U.S. also “pertaining to the residents and rules of a college or university” (1837). adj.
- Relating to or forming the wall of any cavity.
- Of or relating to either of the parietal bones.