- an area of land almost completely surrounded by water except for an isthmus connecting it with the mainland.
- the Peninsula,
- Spain and Portugal together; Iberian Peninsula; Iberia.
- a district in SE Virginia between the York and James rivers: Civil War battles.
- a narrow strip of land projecting into a sea or lake from the mainland
- the Peninsula short for the Iberian Peninsula
n.1530s, from Latin pæninsula “a peninsula,” literally “almost an island,” from pæne “almost” + insula “island” (see isle). Earlier translated as demie island.
- A piece of land that projects into a body of water and is connected with a larger landmass.
A body of land enclosed on three sides by water, jutting out from a larger body of land.