- feeling or expressing sorrow for sin or wrongdoing and disposed to atonement and amendment; repentant; contrite.
- a penitent person.
- Roman Catholic Church. a person who confesses sin and submits to a penance.
- feeling regret for one’s sins; repentant
- a person who is penitent
- a person who repents his sins and seeks forgiveness for them
- RC Churcha person who confesses his sins to a priest and submits to a penance imposed by him
adj.mid-14c., from Old French pénitent (14c.) and directly from Latin paenitentem (see penitence). As a noun, late 14c., from the adjective.