- a person who receives or lives on a pension.
- a hireling.
- a student at Cambridge University who pays for his or her commons and other expenses, and is not supported by any foundation.
- Obsolete. a gentleman-at-arms.
- a person who is receiving a pension, esp an old-age pension from the state
- a person dependent on the pay or bounty of another
- obsolete, British another name for gentleman-at-arms
n.late 15c., from Anglo-French pensionner, from Old French pensionnier (mid-14c.), from Medieval Latin pensionarius, from pension (see pension (n.)).