verb (used with object)
- to receive into the Christian church by baptism; baptize.
- to give a name to at baptism: They christened her Mary.
- to name and dedicate: to christen a ship.
- to make use of for the first time.
- to give a Christian name to in baptism as a sign of incorporation into a Christian Church
- another word for baptize
- to give a name to (anything), esp with some ceremony
- informal to use for the first time
c.1200, from Old English cristnian “to baptize,” literally “to make Christian,” from cristen “Christian” (see Christian). General meaning of “to name” is attested from mid-15c. Related: Christened; christening.