- having a pleasant odor; fragrant.
- odorous or smelling (usually followed by of): redolent of garlic.
- suggestive; reminiscent (usually followed by of): verse redolent of Shakespeare.
- having a pleasant smell; fragrant
- (postpositive ; foll by of or with) having the odour or smell (of); scented (with)a room redolent of country flowers
- (postpositive ; foll by of or with) reminiscent or suggestive (of)a picture redolent of the 18th century
c.1400, from Old French redolent “emitting an odor” and directly from Latin redolentem (moninative redolens), present participle of redolere “emit a scent, diffuse odor,” from red-, intensive prefix (see re-), + olere “give off a smell” (see odor).