- Nautical. a person who reefs.
- a short, close-fitting coat or jacket of thick cloth, similar to a pea jacket.
- a woman’s tailored, fitted, single- or double-breasted coat of durable material with a collar.
- a marijuana cigarette.
- a refrigerator, especially one large enough to be walked into.
- a refrigerator car, ship, truck, etc.
- nautical a person who reefs, such as a midshipman
- another name for reefing jacket
- slang a hand-rolled cigarette, esp one containing cannabis
- a ship, lorry, or other form of transport designed to carry refrigerated cargo
“marijuana cigarette,” 1920s, perhaps an alteration of Mexican Spanish grifo “marijuana, drug addict” [OED]; or perhaps from reef (v.), on resemblance to a rolled sail. It also meant “pickpocket” in criminal slang (1935). Reefer also was a nickname for “midshipman” (1818) “because they attend in the tops during the operation of reefing” [Century Dictionary], which is the source of the meaning “coat of a nautical cut” (1878) worn by sailors and fishermen “but copied for general use in the fashions of 1888-90” [CD].
- Marijuana, especially a marijuana cigarette.