verb (used with object), e·val·u·at·ed, e·val·u·at·ing.
- to determine or set the value or amount of; appraise: to evaluate property.
- to judge or determine the significance, worth, or quality of; assess: to evaluate the results of an experiment.
- Mathematics. to determine or calculate the numerical value of (a formula, function, relation, etc.).
- to ascertain or set the amount or value of
- to judge or assess the worth of; appraise
- maths logic to determine the unique member of the range of a function corresponding to a given member of its domain
1842, from French évaluer or else a back-formation from evaluation. Originally in mathematics. Related: Evaluated; evaluating.