verb (used with object)
- to give back or restore (especially money); repay.
- to make repayment to; reimburse.
verb (used without object)
- to make repayment.
- an act or instance of refunding.
- an amount refunded.
verb (rɪˈfʌnd) (tr)
- to give back (money), as when an article purchased is unsatisfactory
- to reimburse (a person)
- return of money to a purchaser or the amount so returned
“to give back, restore,” early 15c. (earlier “to pour back,” late 14c.), from Old French refunder “restore” and directly from Latin refundere “give back, restore, return,” literally “pour back, flow back,” from re- “back” (see re-) + fundere “to pour” (see found (v.2)). Specifically of money from 1550s. Related: Refunded; refunding.
“a return of money paid,” 1782, from refund (v.).