verb (used with object), re·galed, re·gal·ing.
- to entertain lavishly or agreeably; delight.
- to entertain with choice food or drink.
verb (used without object), re·galed, re·gal·ing.
- to feast.
- a sumptuous feast.
- a choice article of food or drink.
verb (tr usually foll by with)
- to give delight or amusement tohe regaled them with stories of his youth
- to provide with choice or abundant food or drink
- a feast
- a delicacy of food or drink
“entertain splendidly,” 1650s, from French régaler “to entertain or feast,” from Old French regale, rigale, from gale “merriment,” from galer “make merry” (see gallant (adj.)). Influenced in Old French by se rigoler “amuse oneself, rejoice,” of unknown origin. Italian regalo is from French. Related: Regaled; regaling.