verb (used with object)
- to raise from the dead; bring to life again.
- to bring back into use, practice, etc.: to resurrect an ancient custom.
verb (used without object)
- to rise from the dead.
- to rise or raise from the dead; bring or be brought back to life
- (tr) to bring back into use or activity; reviveto resurrect an ancient law
- (tr) to renew (one’s hopes, etc)
- (tr) facetious (formerly) to exhume and steal (a body) from its grave, esp in order to sell it
1772, back-formation from resurrection. Related: Resurrected; resurrecting. “The correct form is resurge, which, however, is intransitive only, whereas the verb resurrect can be used both as transitive and intransitive …” [Klein]. Related: Resurrected; resurrecting.