- of, containing, or resembling common table salt; salty or saltlike: a saline solution.
- of or relating to a chemical salt, especially of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc., as used as a cathartic.
- of or relating to a method of abortion involving injection of hypertonic saline solution into the amniotic cavity during the second trimester.
- a sterile solution of sodium chloride used to dilute medications or for intravenous therapy.
- salty water; a salty solution.
- of, concerned with, consisting of, or containing common salta saline taste
- med of or relating to a saline
- of, concerned with, consisting of, or containing any chemical salt, esp a metallic salt resembling sodium chloride
- med an isotonic solution of sodium chloride in distilled water
adj.“made of salt,” c.1500, probably from a Latin word related to salinum “salt cellar” and salinae “salt pits,” from sal (genitive salis) “salt” (see salt (n.)). Also in Middle English as a noun meaning “salt pit” (13c.). Saline solution attested from 1833. adj.
- Of, relating to, or containing salt; salty.
- Of or relating to chemical salts.
- A salt of magnesium or of the alkalis, used in medicine as a cathartic.
- A saline solution, especially one that is isotonic to blood.
- Of or containing salt.