adjective, sand·i·er, sand·i·est.
- of the nature of or consisting of sand.
- containing or covered with sand.
- of a yellowish-red color: sandy hair.
- having hair of a sandy color.
- shifting or unstable, like sand.
adjective sandier or sandiest
- consisting of, containing, or covered with sand
- (esp of hair) reddish-yellow
- resembling sand in texture
n.1640s, from sandy + -ness. adj.Old English sandig “of the nature of sand;” see sand (n.) + -y (2). Meaning “of yellowish-red hue” (in reference to hair) is from 1520s. n.late 15c. as a nickname for Alexander; as the typical name for a Scotsman from 1785, also drawing on the hair-color sense of sandy (adj.). Also Sawney, and with diminutive form Saunder preserved in surnames.