noun, plural schiz·os.
- a schizophrenic or schizoid person.
- schizophrenic or schizoid.
- crazy; wildly eccentric; lunatic.
- a combining form meaning “split,” used in the formation of compound words: schizogenetic.
noun plural -os
- a schizophrenic person
- indicating a cleavage, split, or divisionschizocarp; schizophrenia
n.1945 (n.), slang shortening of schizophrenic. Schiz in same sense is from 1955 as a noun, 1960 as an adjective. word-forming element meaning “division; split, cleavage,” from Latinized form of Greek skhizo-, comb. form of skhizein “to split, cleave, part, separate,” from PIE root *skei- “to cut, separate, divide, part, split” (see shed (v.)). pref.
- Split; cleft:schizotrichia.
- Cleavage; fission:schizogenesis.