verb (used without object), scur·ried, scur·ry·ing.
- to go or move quickly or in haste.
verb (used with object), scur·ried, scur·ry·ing.
- to send hurrying along.
noun, plural scur·ries.
- a scurrying rush: the scurry of little feet on the stairs.
- a short run or race.
verb -ries, -rying or -ried
- to move about or proceed hurriedly
- (intr) to whirl about
noun plural -ries
- the act or sound of scurrying
- a brisk light whirling movement, as of snow
- horse racing a short race or sprint
v.1810, perhaps from hurry-scurry (1732), a reduplication of hurry (v.). As a noun, 1823, from the verb.