- Sports. the squad of players available either individually or as a team to replace or relieve those who start a game.
- a secondary position, status, or group, as in a level of corporate management.
- mainly British an alternative course of action, etc, intended to come into use should the first fail (esp in the phrase a second string to one’s bow)
- a substitute or reserve player or team
adjective second-string mainly US and Canadian
- being a substitute player
- being the second-ranked player of a team in an individual sport
- second-rate or inferior