- producing or designed to produce a startling effect, strong reaction, intense interest, etc., especially by exaggerated, superficial, or lurid elements: a sensational novel.
- extraordinarily good; conspicuously excellent; phenomenal: a sensational quarterback.
- of or relating to the senses or sensation.
- causing or intended to cause intense feelings, esp of curiosity, horror, etcsensational disclosures in the press
- informal extremely gooda sensational skater
- of or relating to the faculty of sensation
- philosophy of or relating to sensationalism
adj.“of or pertaining to sensation or the senses,” 1840; “aiming at violently excited effects,” 1863, from sensation in its secondary sense. Related: Sensationalistic; sensationalistically.