- the protuberance on the breast or udder in female mammals, except the monotremes, through which the milk ducts discharge; nipple or mammilla.
- something resembling a teat.
- the nipple of a mammary gland
- (in cows, etc) any of the projections from the udder through which milk is dischargedSee nipple
- something resembling a teat in shape or function, such as the rubber mouthpiece of a feeding bottle
n.mid-13c., from Old French tete “teat” (12c.), from Proto-Germanic *titta (source of Old English titt, see tit). n.
- The female breast; mamma.
- A papilla.
- A small projection near the center of the mammary gland of many female mammals that contains the outlet of the milk ducts. Each teat contains a single milk duct, while nipples each contain more than one.