noun, plural ten·an·cies.
- a holding, as of lands, by any kind of title; occupancy of land, a house, or the like, under a lease or on payment of rent; tenure.
- the period of a tenant’s occupancy.
- occupancy or enjoyment of a position, post, situation, etc.: her tenancy as professor of history at the state university.
- Archaic. a piece of land held by a tenant; holding.
noun plural -cies
- the temporary possession or holding by a tenant of lands or property owned by another
- the period of holding or occupying such property
- the period of holding office, a position, etc
- property held or occupied by a tenant