- a combining form used in the names of units of measure equal to one trillion of a given base unit: terahertz.
- Computers. a combining form of like function with the value 240 (=1,099,511,627,766). Abbreviation: T
- denoting 10 12terameter
- Also: tebi- denoting 2 40terabyte
prefix used in forming large units of measure (e.g. terabyte), 1947, from Greek teras (genitive teratos) “marvel, monster.” pref.
- One trillion (1012):terahertz.
- A prefix that means:
- One trillion (1012), as in terahertz, one trillion hertz.
- 240 (that is, 1,099,511,627,776), which is the power of two closest to a trillion, as in terabyte.