- of or relating to a centralized government that does not tolerate parties of differing opinion and that exercises dictatorial control over many aspects of life.
- exercising control over the freedom, will, or thought of others; authoritarian; autocratic.
- an adherent of totalitarianism.
- of, denoting, relating to, or characteristic of a dictatorial one-party state that regulates every realm of life
- a person who advocates or practises totalitarian policies
1926, first in reference to Italian fascism, formed in English on model of Italian totalitario “complete, absolute, totalitarian,” from the Italian cognate of English total (adj.). The noun is recorded from 1938.