verb (used with object)
- to act or behave toward (a person) in some specified way: to treat someone with respect.
- to consider or regard in a specified way, and deal with accordingly: to treat a matter as unimportant.
- to deal with (a disease, patient, etc.) in order to relieve or cure.
- to deal with in speech or writing; discuss.
- to deal with, develop, or represent artistically, especially in some specified manner or style: to treat a theme realistically.
- to subject to some agent or action in order to bring about a particular result: to treat a substance with an acid.
- to entertain; give hospitality to: He treats diplomats in the lavish surroundings of his country estate.
- to provide food, entertainment, gifts, etc., at one’s own expense: Let me treat you to dinner.