- identical in all essentials or respects: corresponding fingerprints.
- similar in position, purpose, form, etc.: corresponding officials in two states.
- associated in a working or other relationship: a bolt and its corresponding nut.
- dealing with correspondence: a corresponding secretary.
- employing the mails as a means of association: a corresponding member of a club.
adj.1570s, past participle adjective from correspond. Not common until 19c., when it took on the adjectival function of correspondent. Related: Correspondingly (1836).