- highly pleasing to the senses, especially to taste or smell: a delicious dinner; a delicious aroma.
- very pleasing; delightful: a delicious sense of humor.
- (initial capital letter) a red or yellow variety of apple, cultivated in the U.S.
- very appealing to the senses, esp to the taste or smell
- extremely enjoyable or entertaininga delicious joke
adj.c.1300 (implied in deliciously), from Old French delicios (Modern French délicieux), from Late Latin deliciosus “delicious, delicate,” from Latin delicia (plural deliciae) “a delight, allurement, charm,” from delicere “to allure, entice,” from de- “away” (see de-) + lacere “lure, deceive” (related to laqueus “noose, snare;” see lace). As a name of a type of apple, attested from 1903, first grown by Jesse Hiatt of Iowa, U.S.A. Colloquial shortening delish is attested from 1920.