verb (used with object)
- to strip a mask or disguise from.
- to reveal the true character of; disclose; expose.
- Military. to reveal the presence of (guns) by firing.
verb (used without object)
- to put off one’s mask; appear in true nature.
- using or wearing a mask or masks: a masked burglar; masked actors.
- disguised; concealed; hidden: masked treachery; masked forces.
- Botany. personate2(def 1).
- Zoology. having markings that resemble a mask.
- disguised or covered by or as if by a mask
- botany another word for personate 2
- to remove (the mask or disguise) from (someone or oneself)
- to appear or cause to appear in true character
- (tr) military to make evident the presence of (weapons), either by firing or by the removal of camouflage, etc
v.1580s in figurative sense, c.1600 in literal sense, from un- (2) + mask (v.). Related: Unmasked; unmasking. adj.
- Latent or hidden, as a symptom or disease.
- Having masklike markings on the head or face.
- Having the anatomy of the next developmental form outlined beneath the integument, as in certain insect pupae.