- of, relating to, or for sex: sexual matters; sexual aids.
- occurring between or involving the sexes: sexual relations.
- having sexual organs or reproducing by processes involving both sexes.
- of, relating to, or characterized by sex or sexuality
- (of reproduction) characterized by the union of male and female gametesCompare asexual (def. 2)
adj.1650s, “of or pertaining to the fact of being male or female,” from Late Latin sexualis “relating to sex,” from Latin sexus (see sex (n.)). Meaning “pertaining to copulation or generation” is from 1766; sexual intercourse attested by 1778; sexual orientation by 1967; sexual harassment by 1975. Sexual revolution attested by 1962. Sexual politics is from 1970. Related: Sexually. adj.
- Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
- Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.
- Of, relating to, or involving the union of male and female gametes.