- a color or a variety of a color; hue.
- a color diluted with white; a color of less than maximum purity, chromo, or saturation.
- a delicate or pale color.
- any of various commercial dyes for the hair.
- Engraving. a uniform shading, as that produced by a series of fine parallel lines.
- Also called tint block. Printing. a faintly or lightly colored background upon which an illustration or the like is to be printed.
verb (used with object)
- to apply a tint or tints to; color slightly or delicately; tinge.
- a shade of a colour, esp a pale one
- a colour that is softened or desaturated by the addition of white
- a tinge
- a semipermanent dye for the hair
- a trace or hinta tint of jealousy in his voice
- engraving uniform shading, produced esp by hatching
- printing a panel of colour serving as a background to letters or other matter
- (tr) to colour or tinge
- (tr) to change or influence slightlyhis answer was tinted by his prior knowledge
- (intr) to acquire a tint
n.“color,” 1717, alteration of tinct (c.1600), from Latin tinctus “a dyeing,” from tingere “to dye” (see tincture); influenced by Italian tinta “tint, hue,” from Latin tinctus. v.1756 (implied in tinted), from tint (n.). Related: Tinted; tinting.