verb (used with object), ver·bal·ized, ver·bal·iz·ing.
- to express in words: He couldn’t verbalize his feelings.
- Grammar. to convert into a verb: to verbalize “butter” into “to butter.”
verb (used without object), ver·bal·ized, ver·bal·iz·ing.
- to use many words; be verbose.
- to express something verbally.
- to express (an idea, feeling, etc) in words
- to change (any word that is not a verb) into a verb or derive a verb from (any word that is not a verb)
- (intr) to be verbose
c.1600, “use too many words,” from French verbaliser (16c.); see verbal. Meaning “express in words” is attested from 1875. Related: Verbalized; verbalizing.