- in exactly the same words; word for word: to repeat something verbatim.
- corresponding word for word to the original source or text: a verbatim record of the proceedings.
- skilled at recording or noting down speeches, proceedings, etc., with word-for-word accuracy: a verbatim stenographer.
- word for word and letter for letter; in exactly the same words.
- using exactly the same words; word for word
late 15c., from Medieval Latin verbatim “word for word,” from Latin verbum “word” (see verb).