- green with vegetation; covered with growing plants or grass: a verdant oasis.
- of the color green: a verdant lawn.
- inexperienced; unsophisticated: verdant college freshmen.
- covered with green vegetation
- (of plants, etc) green in colour
- immature or unsophisticated; green
1580s, “green,” from Middle French virdeant “becoming green,” present participle of Old French verdeiier “become green,” from Vulgar Latin *viridiare “grow green, make green,” from Latin viridis “green” (see verdure). Related: Verdantly.