- greenness, especially of fresh, flourishing vegetation.
- green vegetation, especially grass or herbage.
- freshness in general; flourishing condition; vigor.
- flourishing green vegetation or its colour
- a condition of freshness or healthy growth
c.1300, “fresh green color,” from Old French verdure “greenness,” from verd, variant of vert “green,” from Latin viridis (source of Spanish, Italian verde), related to virere “be green,” of unknown origin. Perhaps ultimately from a root meaning “growing plant” and cognate with Lithuanian veisti “propagate,” Old Norse visir “bud, sprout,” Old English wise “sprout, stalk, etc.” Meaning “green plants, vegetation” is attested from c.1400.