- of or relating to the viscera.
- affecting the viscera.
- of the nature of or resembling viscera.
- characterized by or proceeding from instinct rather than intellect: a visceral reaction.
- characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; crude: a visceral literary style.
- of, relating to, or affecting the viscera
- characterized by intuition or instinct rather than intellect
1570s, “affecting inward feelings,” from Middle French viscéral, from Medieval Latin visceralis “internal,” from Latin viscera, plural of viscus “internal organ,” of unknown origin. The bowels were regarded as the seat of emotion. The figurative sense vanished after 1640 and the literal sense is first recorded in 1794. The figurative sense was revived 1940s in arts criticism.
- Relating to, situated in, or affecting the viscera.