verb (used with object), wast·ed, wast·ing.
- to consume, spend, or employ uselessly or without adequate return; use to no avail or profit; squander: to waste money; to waste words.
- to fail or neglect to use: to waste an opportunity.
- to destroy or consume gradually; wear away: The waves waste the rock of the shore.
- to wear down or reduce in bodily substance, health, or strength; emaciate; enfeeble: to be wasted by disease or hunger.
- to destroy, devastate, or ruin: a country wasted by a long and futile war.
- Slang. to kill or murder.