- pertaining to or situated at the center; central.
- Anatomy, Physiology. pertaining to or originating at a nerve center.
- a combining form with the meanings “having a center or centers” of the specified number or kind (polycentric); “centered upon, focused around” that named by the first element (ethnocentric; heliocentric).
- being central or having a centre
- relating to or originating at a nerve centre
- Also: concentric(of vascular bundles) having one type of tissue completely surrounding the other
- (of leaves, such as those of the onion) cylindrical
suffix forming adjectives
- having a centre as specifiedheliocentric
word-forming element meaning “having a center (of a certain kind); centered on,” from Greek kentrikos “pertaining to a center,” from kentron (see center (n.)).
- Situated at or near the center; central.
- Having a specified kind or number of centers:polycentric
- Having a specified object as the center:egocentric.