- a person who acts in stage plays, motion pictures, television broadcasts, etc.
- a person who does something; participant.
noun Classical Mythology.
- a brother of King Augeas, sometimes believed to be the father, by Molione, of Eurytus and Cteatus.
- a person who acts in a play, film, broadcast, etc
- informal a person who puts on a false manner in order to deceive others (often in the phrase bad actor)
late 14c., “an overseer, guardian, steward,” from Latin actor “an agent or doer,” also “theatrical player,” from past participle stem of agere (see act (n.)). Mid-15c. as “a doer, maker,” also “a plaintiff.” Sense of “one who performs in plays” is 1580s, originally applied to both men and women.