- existing in act or fact; real: an actual case of heroism; actual expenses.
- existing now; present; current: The ship’s actual position is 22 miles due east of Miami.
- Obsolete. pertaining to or involving acts or action.
- existing in reality or as a matter of fact
- real or genuine
- existing at the present time; current
- (usually preceded by your) British informal, often facetious (intensifier)that music’s by your actual Mozart, isn’t it?
early 14c., “pertaining to an action,” from Old French actuel “now existing, up to date” (13c.), from Late Latin actualis “active, pertaining to action,” adjectival form of Latin actus (see act (n.)). The broader sense of “real, existing” (as opposed to potential, ideal, etc.) is from late 14c.