- Music. in a leisurely manner; slowly.
- Music. slow.
noun, plural a·da·gios.
- Music. an adagio movement or piece.
- a sequence of well-controlled, graceful movements performed as a display of skill.
- a duet by a man and a woman or mixed trio emphasizing difficult technical feats.
- (especially in ballet) a love-duet sequence in a pas de deux.
- (to be performed) slowly
noun plural -gios
- a movement or piece to be performed slowly
- ballet a slow section of a pas de deux
c.1746, “slowly, leisurely,” Italian, from ad agio, from ad “to, at” (see ad-) + agio “leisure,” from Vulgar Latin adjacens, present participle of adjacere “to lie at, to lie near” (cf. adjacent). In musical sense of “a slow movement” (n.), first attested 1784.
A very slow musical tempo.