- advantage(def 5).
- ad in, the advantage being scored by the server.
- ad out, the advantage being scored by the receiver.
- short for advertisement
noun tennis, US and Canadian
- short for advantage Brit equivalent: van
the internet domain name for
- (indicating years numbered from the supposed year of the birth of Christ) anno Domini70 ad Compare BC
- military active duty
- military air defence
- Dame of the Order of Australia
1841, shortened form of advertisement. Long resisted by those in the trade, and denounced 1918 by the president of a national advertising association as “the language of bootblacks, … beneath the dignity of men of the advertising profession.”
- auris dextra (right ear)