- the act of mixing; state of being mixed.
- anything added; any alien element or ingredient: This is a pure product; there are no admixtures.
- a compound containing an admixture.
- a less common word for mixture
- anything added in mixing; ingredient
c.1600, with -ure, from admix (1530s), a back-formation from admixt (early 15c.), from Latin admixtus “mixed with,” past participle of admiscere “to add to by mingling, mix with,” from ad- “to” (see ad-) + miscere “to mix” (see mix). In Middle English admixt was mistaken as a past participle of a (then) non-existent *admix. Earlier in this sense was admixtion (late 14c.).